Tuesday, January 11, 2005

diary of a commission

Back at the house, the next episode in the story of a commission emerged through the ethernet: This one is for a still life, which commission our whacky solicitor preferred to payment when he acted for us in the sale of our house in England a year ago. Despite his wait while Julian re-plumbed and re-wired our house and his aborted visit to see us last summer (where he got as far as Carpentras from the Var and turned back because he could not find us and was too proud to ask the way) he is still a witty correspondent and is making do with the two paintings of Venice he actually gave us cash for.
Here is the most recent correspondance:

On 25 Oct 2004, at 2:05 PM, B wrote:
listen, although I have difficulty in finding where you live, I do actually know where you live, so I can have people sent round if I want to ...how many fingers do you need to hold a paintbrush... I may have the unneccessary ones removed...

Sent by Julian: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: liars,crooks,cheats and thieves
I need my fingers! Will have something special for you before Chrimbo' am working hard with no distractions, wife in Lewes and parts north doing Glyndebourne until mid-December so just me and the cats. J

On 27 Oct 2004, at 11:23 AM, B wrote:
so is she commuting on a weekly basis or have you got rid of her for the season
and the love nest - does this mean that all is finished and you are back to painting just canvas not walls ?
any more exciting commissions secured ?
questions questions
B x

Ten weeks pass.This time Julian has been busy creating his new fluffy style which is not ready for the big wide world yet. Since Christmas he has been redesigning his website. Suddenly he has a pang of guilt and writes to B.

Sent by Julian: Monday, January 10, 2005 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: liars,crooks,cheats and thieves

Delays ,delays, just a little note to say I am still working and trying to find you the right thing. Will get something to you soon. Happy New Year to you and yours from me and mine. Julian

On Jan 11th B wrote:

yeah,yeah,yeah.....and I'm not quoting from the Beatles (I'm too young).
reciproations on the filicitations etc.,. how was it for you - over here or over there.
surprise gifts for me this year were a waffle iron and a BBC publication of the TV series "Grumpy Old Men"....what's going on?
Big kisses all round
Bx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home