Friday, August 26, 2005

appeal

It has been brought to my notice yet again that I do not play loud enough.

I am not of the bigger equals better school of string playing and have always prided myself on quality of sound above everything, but it has been pointed out once too often (and recently unbloggably) by people I respect that I am a mouse and so last night I decided to do something about it.

I had asked my section leader how much he charged for LOUD lessons and he suggested a first step would be to use his classical bow. It is much heavier than my baroque bow and has a delicious curly nose. I waved it around, fired up by my anger, making huge ugly sounds and suddenly I felt like a gruff bear with a magic wand trampling the hell out of Mitridate. It was wonderful.

There is, unfortunately, no going back for this mouse now. She has had a taste of the grizzly she was always meant to be and she has to have tools to match.

The bow in question is made by a Monsieur Latour in Bordeaux and we just happen to be going to Bordeaux in October. Trouble is it costs 1200 euros....

...about as much as it will cost to replace the ibook I left in Munich airport thismorning.

No, I am not kidding.

So if anyone has an old ibook they're abandoning - or indeed a classical bow by Monsieur Latour - it might just have found a home.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

OOOOh! OOh dear, much cause for roaring, so easy to leave something behind when you're tired and in a hurry! But, hey, is there a silver lining? Surely you have travel insurance for the ibook? So perhaps you could get the insurance money for the ibook and spend it on the bow, and then replace the ibook when you can, or with something cheaper? (sorry I have only suggestions to offer, no money!)

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a disaster! Don't give up hope; it may yet turn up. (I am feeling optimistic today because my daughter's dropped/forgotten passport was handed in to the British Embassy). Even frequent travellers get forgetful in the endless transit-space of airports.
I'm no help in the replacement area either, but good luck with bow-and-book search.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

I read that phrase over and over again
"...about as much as it will cost to replace the ibook I left in Munich airport this morning. "

It makes me feel just sick for you.

5:55 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

thanks everyone. unfortunately no travel insurance and they haven#t found it, so watch out for the film of the book that was inside and which will surely make millions for someone....trying to go with the flow here, pretty hard.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Oh, that's dreadful. So sorry.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

When are you playing in Bordeaux? I might be able to come and assess the mousiness of your playing for myself:-)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

oh nooooooooo... just catching up with you after a week away from blogland... don't say you didn't have a backup?

4:39 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

Lesley, unfortunately my datebook was of course in my computer but i should get the dates again from the orchestra so the best thing is to email me to remind me to get you details at the beginning of october (concert some time in october!) apparently it is in a place near bordeaux airport..it would be great if you could come!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home