Thursday, February 23, 2006

sold out

ex lemon

Within an hour of people getting up and reading the New York Times over skinny skimmed soy lattes and lox and cream cheese bagels Julian, in our scrappy unrenovated little corner of the Vaucluse, had sold out. Two computers running on full speed, two sets of dodgey maths skills and one bottle of champagne and 29,000 page views later we are exhausted. The car bill is paid and, for a brief moment, life is utterly other-worldly. Even the knobbly lemon, so rudely commented upon but which has hung affectionately in our kitchen, found a home. Well, several actually. It doesn't know what has hit it!

My mum the astrologer says it is 'Neptune in Aquarius transiting opposite Saturn in Leo'.

Now all that remains is the late risers' disappointed 'all sold' emails, a request for dog portraits to deal with and tomorrow's celebratory lunch at Pernes les Fontaines.

For the hook go to:

http://nytimes.com/pages/garden/index.html

(scroll down the right column to multimedia and click on 'currents' - 19th Century art sold the 21st century way....)

Meanwhile I would like to raise my glass to Jo and George(our dear friends whose fault this all is), Donna (who wrote the article), and of course Julian (who is 47 tomorrow). 'Way to go' as they say over there in the land of frenzied painting buyers.

17 Comments:

Blogger Heather Meadows said...

How awesome for you guys :) Congratulations!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

Yes, well done. Glad I've already got my little masterpiece...

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heartiest congratulations -- and I hope some of the disappointed latecomers and happy buyers alike will return for future purchases! No one would buy if the work weren't so beautiful, and beautifully painted. So bask in the lovely moment!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Brenda Clews said...

Bravo!... this is wonderful!

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thrilled today to see that the "Available" section had been removed from Shifting Light! Hooray!

Enjoy your lunch tomorrow!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

How wonderful! Enjoy your celebrations. Hoping the huge new contact database that will be a tedious task to create will bring many, many sales in the future - I'm sure it will.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah Mackenzie said...

Well done! Enjoy your celebration and "Happy 47th Birthday, Julian!"

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was something afoot when yesterday's postcard sold before my sleepy eyes before I had time to grab it!
I am so glad my paintings are in the post!
Many, many congratulations!
And Happy Birthday
now get painting please!
Julia

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Fantastic article!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Wow! Wow, wow, wow!!! What a month this has been. Happy birthday, Julian! The celebrations are well-deserved.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

That's splendid!!

And 47 is a terrific age. Has been for me, anyway.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigantically pleased for you, Julian. Happy Happy Birthday.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm outraged! How could you have sold them all before Mig sent me over here?

In response, I demand you paint a portrait of my cat!

Okay, seriously, though: the paintings look amazing online -- I'm sure they are better in person. I look forward to seeing more works in the future.

Take care and all the best,
SP

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't still be at the restaurant!!

I can't imagine that I am the first to think of it, but Julian's site might now better be named 'Shifted light'....

Very happy for you both,

with love

Leo.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Wonderful news. And so well deserved.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'M LATE, i'M LATE!
Seriously wonderful and exciting news.
"As the soft yield of water cleaves obstinate stone,
So to yield with life solves the insoluble." lao-tzu.
Anna.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Congratulations! So well deserved! So glad we have an early painting to say we knew you when ...

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home