Friday, February 09, 2007

bottles

clive

The woman at the goverrment office had bright cerise lipstick which reflected the fabric that clung to her fleshy hips and behind. We followed the latter as it waddled us along the corridor.

‘Nice display’ whispered Julian once we were seated in front of a wad of documents. On the mantelpiece, instead of flowers and pictures of smiling grandchildren, was a collection of eight well-spaced empty plastic bottles: A Squat yellow, a willowy blue, an angry red, a pink-topped, a plump green, a sucked in gold, a seethrough and a multi coloured one. It was sort of ugly, but its courage was beautiful. Each one had been rescued from the rubbish and placed lovingly, and the display was as bold and modern as the woman's smile.

(Painting by Clive Blackmore )

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I love the painting - reminds me of Morandi, whom I love. I must find out if there's anywhere I can see your friend Clive's work. And your painting in words, too - absolutely vivid and visual, a detail saying more than pages of description.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Ah, Fen Ditton - yes, I'm sure I could...I go to Cambridge often.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ruth! Another great painter to watch...

3:53 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

(o)

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home