Monday, October 24, 2005

life as a thing

3687-lge

Today friends stopped by for a spontaneous lunch and portrait talk continued. In the afternoon Julian moved pears and pomegranates around. I moved my office into the vines. He leaned out of the studio window with his 'don't know what to paint' face on. I gesticulated my 'paint me' dance, and so he did.

Today I was a pear, a pomegranate, a thing...

or as Suzanne Vega, who must know what it's like to 'sit', so beautifully expresses it:

Today I am
a small blue thing
Like a marble
or an eye

With my knees against my mouth
I am perfectly round
I am watching you

I am cold against your skin
You are perfectly reflected
I am lost inside your pocket
I am lost against
your fingers

I am falling down the stairs
I am skipping on the sidewalk
I am thrown against the sky
I am raining down in pieces
I am scattered like light
Scattering like light
Scattering like light

Today I am
A small blue thing
Made of china
made of glass

I am cool and smooth and curious
I never blink
I am turning in your hand
Turning in your hand

small blue thing


ps. I never made a wish list but if I did a small painting by our friend Clive Blackmore (linked to above) would be it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Beautiful.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Zhoen said...

Thank you for reminding me of that song, I didn't know I was craving it.

11:15 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Were you thinking of those lyrics when you danced? They fit perfectly.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like a marble
or an eye..."
Perhaps Julian can paint some blue marbles to go with my duane keiser 'marbles', hint hint... but never tell a painter what to paint! By the way, the portrait is very good - don't let it go!!

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a stunningly lovely portrait ...

3:02 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

no, I wasn't thinking of the song, it came to me afterwards. I was reading the wonderful book 'Kite Runner'.

Interesting you say don't let it go, James. J and I feel that about quite alot of the daily paintings and obviously especially about this, in a way. Yet in another way, the beauty of the project is both the democratic nature (J could sell it for much more, or wait) of what comes out that day, and the transitory nature of the things simply passing through; the continuing movement. I always like an opportunity to practic letting go and this is an almost daily one I have come to really enjoy.

The painting sold during the night to a woman who also bought J's of a couple of days earlier so at least we will be together somewhere in the US!!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

I love the painting and was very moved and interested by what you said about letting it go and about the philosophy of the painting-a-day thing. Nice that it will still be here in your blog. And I love, love Suzanne Vega too - which album is this song on?

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting. What beautiful minds you both have.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

There is so much love in that painting.

Jean, it's on the eponymous 'Suzanne Vega' album; her first, I think.

9:31 PM  
Blogger MB said...

What's the connection to Kite Runner? Or must I read the book? (While drinking lavazza...)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a stunning portrait. Where can I see more?

3:27 AM  
Blogger ruth said...

hello anonymous! you can link to the painter's sites (he happens to be my husband) through my blog or on
http://stillives.com
http://shiftinglight.com
glad you like it!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home